Parents & Families
As a valued member of the University of Richmond family, we are excited to have you as a partner in your student’s career development. Our mission is to empower students and alumni to achieve lifelong career success, engage with the University community, and build lifelong relationships to strengthen the Spider Network. Below is a broad overview of our programs and services so that you may feel educated when assisting your student in their career development. If you are interested in engaging with our office, please see a few suggestions below.
Welcome to the Spider Family!
Encourage your student to:
- Schedule an appointment with a career advisor. Our advisors specialize in helping students identify their interests, abilities, and values that coincide with majors at Richmond and how they can relate to careers in their future. For a list of majors, minors and concentrations available at the University of Richmond, visit this link.
- Attend Career Services programs and events, including our Career Expos, which connect students with between 50 – 70 organizations, in a variety of industries, hiring for jobs and internships.
- Have their resume reviewed online through Resume Check, so it will be ready to go when applying for jobs, internships, and UR Summer Fellowships.
- Follow the Spider Career Blog in order to stay up to date on relevant tips and advice for navigating career exploration and the job search process.
Get Involved By:
- Participating in the recruitment of Richmond students. Post a job, internship, or volunteer opportunity through SpiderConnect, our free online recruiting database.
- Signing-up to be a Spider Shadowing host. Spider Shadowing allows students to explore careers through half-day or full-day job shadowing experiences.
- Attending regional events to connect with the Spider Network in your area. Parents are welcome at all of our regional programming, including sporting events, networking receptions, cultural events, and social gatherings.