Career Opportunity Fund
The Office of Alumni and Career Services provides a limited amount of money for undergraduate students each semester. These funds allow students access to career development opportunities during their career exploration and job search processes.
Types of Funding Available
Students who have a career development opportunity such as (but not limited to) interviews for job, internship, or professional graduate school; Health Preceptorship; professional conference; Spider Shadowing; or Spider Road Trip may apply to receive funding to cover all or part of the travel expenses necessary to make the opportunity possible.
For Spider Road Trips: Funding is available for students who would be otherwise unable to afford the cost of participating in a Spider Road Trip. Costs associated with the trip covered by the Office of Alumni and Career Services include: transportation costs between organizations (subway or bus), hotel accommodations the night between the two days of the trip, and typically several meals. Students may apply for travel reimbursement for other costs associated with the trip, including: transportation to destination city and back to the University of Richmond or to your home, an additional night in the hotel if arriving early, professional attire, and some meals.
Please note, career development opportunities do not have to be sourced by the Office of Alumni and Career Services in order to qualify for funding.
Students who would like to attend a professional conference can apply to receive funding to cover all or part of the registration cost to make this opportunity possible.
Professional Wardrobe & Accessories Reimbursement
This funding covers expenses such as professional attire (i.e. suit, lab attire, etc.) and accessories (i.e. business cards, stationery, padfolios, etc.) that are a necessary part of career development and job search or graduate school interview processes.
Qualifying for Funding
- Students must qualify for need-based aid per the University’s policies to be eligible for funding. If you are unsure of whether you qualify for need-based financial aid, contact the Financial Aid office.
- Students must be degree-seeking undergraduates in the following schools: Jepson School of Leadership Studies, School of Arts & Sciences, School of Professional & Continuing Studies, and Robins School of Business.
- In order to fund as many students as possible, students are limited to two funding opportunities per academic year.
- Students may be granted up to $250 for an opportunity and funding will be given as a reimbursement after a purchase made by a student.
- If you are concerned about having enough funds to purchase the item(s) upfront, please include this information on your application.
- Prior to receiving the reimbursement, students must share the following:
- Outcome of the interview or one page written summary of the experience (Health Preceptorship, professional conference, Spider Shadowing, or Spider Road Trips
- Original, itemized receipt(s) of purchase(s)
- Applications for funding will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please submit your application as far in advance of the opportunity as possible, but no less than 1 week prior to the opportunity for which you are seeking funding.
- Please note that students are not guaranteed funding.