Four-Year Plan for Student Success
Career Services works with students beginning their first year at Richmond. From narrowing down interests and abilities to finding their first jobs, our staff helps students create individual plans for success.
First-Year: Adjust to College Life
- Learn about the university and the Richmond community.
- Make connections with faculty, staff, and students and get involved on campus.
- Take a variety of classes and keep an open mind about choosing a major.
- Meet with a Career Services advisor to learn about resources and services. Begin to develop a personal plan for success.
Second Year: Select a Major
- Use Career Services self-assessment tools to learn about interests, abilities, and values.
- Prepare a résumé to begin the search for a part-time job, internship, study abroad program, research project or community engagement experience.
Third Year: Translate Experiences into Career Goals
- Choose three to five interests and relate them to career goals.
- Make connections with professionals in fields of interest.
- Continue to gain experience through part-time jobs, internships, research projects and community engagement experiences.
- Explore graduate or professional school options; take entrance examinations.
- Utilize Career Services resources on résumés, interviewing and graduate school preparation.
Fourth Year: Implement Goals
- Organize a self-directed job search plan.
- Refine résumé and complete a mock interview in Career Services.
- Complete graduate or professional school applications.
Post Graduation: Continuing Career Development
- Remain connected with our office for lifetime career assistance. Be sure to join the UR Career Network through SpiderConnect for professional networking.
- Partner with the Office of Alumni and Career Services to assist current students in their professional development.
Career Services is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Students and alumni can schedule consultations by calling (804) 289-8547. Same-day appointments are not available. Appointment Policies
For internships and job opportunities, employers are encouraged to contact: